Monday, August 2, 2010

Monday Musings

This week, Bill and I are having a "stay-cation", going on day trips to places both familiar and new. Yesterday we went into Boston to the Museum of Fine Arts. We've been there many times, but the day was so beautiful, dry and breezy, what we most enjoyed was a walk along the Fenway.
We had a leisurely brunch in the museum restaurant, saw a Toulouse Lautrec exhibit, an exhibit of early musical instruments, beautiful period silver urns and tableware, and the always important walk through the European painting galleries.

Today we went to the charming harbor town of Marblehead, MA. We walked the crooked streets, went into lovely gift shops, enjoyed the historic houses and buildings, and ended up eating lunch in a restaurant right on the harbor. Another perfect weather day!


Lately I've been looking through a portfolio of sketches and paintings I did in the past - WAY in the past! I used to love drawing and painting, but never had much in the way of formal instruction. This acrylic painting was done when I was in my twenties, totally from my imagination.

                                                 
Several years later, when I was first married, I did this watercolor. A little humor here, with my grumpy morning self reflected in the coffeepot! 

                                                      
It wasn't long after that that I discovered art made with fabric. I don't know exactly what it was - the textures, colors, patterns of the fabric, or what - but I just knew I wanted to try it!
And I'm still trying it!!
Thanks for joining me on my little walk down memory lane!!

Have a great week!




8 comments:

She Who Doodles said...

it's fun to look back at your older work and see how it's changed over the years. you really captured your image in the coffee pot, for so little painting experience.

i'm a little envious of your visit to boston. i was there once when my daughter lived in the east. i was facinated with boston, a little overwhelmed with the history everywhere. it was awesome walking in the footsteps of so many we read about in history class.

Nan and =^..^= said...

I loved this post...you visited 2 special places that I have lived and it brought back fond memories!
The weather has been so pleasant the past few days...sure hope it continues! Your early paintings are wonderful!

Lyn said...

It's good to look back on as this can give you ideas in your fabric art too.
I keep saying I should sketch more.
love
Lyn
xxx

Libby Fife said...

What lovely places that you got to visit:)

Love the earlier work too. Your natural talent is obvious:)

Lori said...

Nice! I love staycations. Last summer that is what we did. There is really so much to see where you like (especially where you live.) It sounds like you are having a good summer, I'm so glad.

summer girl said...

Judy....so glad you and Bill are enjoying yourselves...doing all those things and seeing places nearby that we don't ordinarily do! and your paintings are incredible!!! get that brush and paint out, girl...love, j

tea time and roses said...

Hello Judy!

Your "stay-cation" was indeed a lovely one:o) Sounds like the two of you enjoyed a most beautiful day. I love the photo of the sidewalk trimmed in all those beautiful trees. I can imagine just how wonderful the sun felt with its gently warm breezes, simply wonderful!!

Judy I love the water color paintings! That coffee pot looks like one could reach in and lift it right off the painting and pour yourself a cup, so real:o) You my friend certainly were given a wonderful gift to create.

Wishing you a most lovely weekend.

Smiles.....

Beverly

Carrie P. said...

Great pictures. I am not good with drawing from my imagination. Great coffee pot picture. Neat idea to have yourself in the picture.