Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Barbara Malek


I 've been writing lately about some of the very talented women I'm lucky enough to have in my circle of friends. Barbara Malek is one of these ladies and her talents are amazing. First, she is a professional long arm machine quilter who adds intricate, beautifully quilted designs to the quilts of those who prefer to concentrate on creating a quilt top and leaving the quilting, binding and finishing to an expert. Barbara also creates and alters costumes for a local theater company and is an excellent seamstress. But what I love most of what Barbara does is her exquisite hand embroidery and applique. 
The Santa block above is part of a Christmas quilt which she has made. Each block is done in redwork embroidery, and I can't decide which one I like best! 
Here are all the blocks,


and close-ups of my favorites!!




Here's an embroidered pillowcase in progress


and a wonderful handbag Barbara made and embellished.
Front,


and back!


And here is a lovely embroidered block that is part of a quilt I showed a while back.


I've barely touched upon the needlework, quilting and creative sewing that Barbara does. I can only say that I'm a bit in awe sometimes when I sit across the table from her, watching her work as we chat and sew. What an inspiration!

2 comments:

Pam Perras said...

Oh my goodness, it's all so beautiful!! Thank you so much for posting Barbara's work, Judy. She's amazing.

Anne Butera said...

Beautiful! I especially love that last flower. You know such talented people!