Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Evolution of a Picture

Sometimes I begin a fiber picture, get off to a good start, and then  lose interest because I'm not sure where to go with it. Last November I began this one, inspired by some textured fabrics with beautiful frayed edges. I layered them against a hand painted, cotton fabric sky. I knew that I wanted the foreground to move forward, so I tried some suede-like fabric, folded over a thin batting. 


In early February this year, I found the picture in a pile of fabric and gave it another look. This time, I used a green print cotton fabric, once again trying to create volume by gathering it a bit, and added a bit of wool roving in the background to suggest foliage.


Yesterday, I came across this piece again, once again neglected and unfinished - poor thing!! I set to work, attaching a piece of wool to the bottom and pulled out the wool roving I've been collecting for ages. I wanted it to build up the depth of the foreground and add interest and balance to the piece, so I spent some time needle felting with hues of green and raspberry. 


Of course, a little beading always helps to add contrasting sparkle! The weather is so gray today, I took two different photos of the piece in different lights. There is a hint of lilac in the sky, but it's hard to capture in a photo.


I'm so happy I went with the wool roving and love the texture it provided.


Speaking of gray weather, we finally had a bit of snow last night and today. Here's the view from my porch!

Hope your day is going well!


4 comments:

Cat said...

I love your landscape fiber art. Very pretty colors, looks so real.

Libby Fife said...

The evolution of the landscape! You really got some great dimensionality with this one-really lovely.

Anne Butera said...

So fun to watch your creation progress. Sometimes things need to sit a while before you know where to go with them. It's not a bad thing. Especially when you end up with such a beautiful landscape!

I noticed the link in your sidebar to the Downton Abbey quiz and I ended up as Anna Smith, too.

Jennifer Richardson said...

oh wow...I seriously LOVE
this wooly art of yours!
amazing.
thanks for sharing the beauty,
Jen