Friday, December 7, 2012

Touches of Whimsy

All around my house there are touches of whimsy that make me smile -


a funny angel that stands on my studio windowsill, with a tiny bird clipped on top...


a little tin angel which my daughter carried home from Mexico for me
many years ago in her jeans' pocket...


a  snowman who was on a card I gave my mom one Christmas. 
She had it on her dresser mirror for years and it is now tucked into the side of mine...


a cat picture from a calendar on the side of a bookcase in my studio,
and underneath a tiny cat who tops a letter opener.

I'm thinking a lot about my mom recently. It's 5 1/2 years since she died, but she still lives on in my thoughts every day. We shared a love of laughter, even silliness, and when I see something especially funny, I think of her and how we could make each other laugh.

Isn't that a wonderful way to remember someone dear?

Here's hoping you find something to make you laugh today!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you. ((hugs))
Stay inspired!

Libby Fife said...

It is always so nice to get a little tour of what makes you happy in your home, including the memories of your Mom. Lucky you to be surrounded by so much that is good and happy:)

mrsnesbitt said...

I LOVE the first angel! Yes time to get out the decorations - this week!!!! With the arrival of a new puppy on Saturday my free time will be over so better get cracking!

Anne Butera said...

What fun, Judy! and lovely memories. Laughing together is really the best thing.

Sorry you didn't have more success at the fair, but at least it was a fun night (and what lovely items you found to buy!).

Hope you're enjoying each day in your slow walk to Christmas.

sharon said...

Had a big laugh this morning when not a single chicken would leave the chicken house. Deep snow all around outside and cozy new bedding inside. Who says chickens aren't very smart?!
My own dear mother's birthday anniversary was this past week. She's been gone 9 years now and I still can't believe I'll never rub my cheeks against hers again. But happily I see her face clearly in my mind's eye and that's lovely. Your mom seems to have been a sweet soul, and knowing you, I'm not surprised.

Jennifer Richardson said...

its such a bittersweet time of year
when you're missing someone.
prayers for extraordinary grace
to grieve well when it comes on
and to absorb all the comfort
and peace that comes to soothe
the ache.
warm Christmas hug,
Jennifer

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Lovely touches. I understand the missing loved ones this season. {hug}