Monday, August 4, 2014

What I Did in July, and Happy August!

July was a good month, and I kept fairly busy with creative projects throughout those steamy days.
I created three fictional portraits and one (the last) of my neighbor Carolyn. Each was introduced with a little story attached. I get very involved with my cast of characters. Maybe they need to interact? I enjoy seeing them side by side, although Blogger didn't make it very easy to arrange them like this. Anyway….





I find myself drawing sketches of people all the time now. They seem to develop on their own as my pencil moves along, and sometimes I'm inspired by people I see, or even people I know. These are terrible photos, but you get the idea. Even the inside covers of my crossword book aren't safe!!



Also, I've been taking a class in paper mache, which has been pure fun. The instructor, Amy, is the same teacher our group has had for the last three classes I've taken, and we have more fun than you can imagine. Did I say "fun" twice? Well, it certainly is! This is a little lady I'm working on...



Amy has several birds, and they come along with her (one at a time), which adds to the high spirited atmosphere of the group. Here are good buddies Boncuk and Zaza. Aren't they sweet?


Here is Hapi, who flaunted his beautiful red under-wings for me, but I didn't get a good picture.


And Cairo, who has visited us a few times, with his brilliant green feathers.



Everyone in the class is making something different. AnnMarie opted for a large fish!!


Barbara is doing a pretty cat...


Andrea is making a large sculpture, and these cute little kitties are part of it.


And Rosalie is making, well, a giant eggplant!!


In July, I also had a chance to go to a knit and crochet show in New Hampshire.
I neither knit nor crochet, but I was in search of wool roving and found some beautiful stuff!



I've been both wet felting and needle felting, and these are pieces I'm still working on.



I'm not a gardener, but love flowers, and these were a lovely gift from a friend.


And, finally, I've had some beautiful blossoms on my hydrangea bush and enjoy them so much.



Thanks for stopping by to read my little saga.
I hope that you are having a wonderful summer!!

HAPPY AUGUST!!

6 comments:

Simone said...

Judy, you have been so busy! Thanks for giving a peek into your sketchbook. You are a great portrait artist! I can't wait to see how your papier mache figure turns out - it is looking good. I hope August gives you plenty of opportunity for artistic pursuits. x

Libby Fife said...

July has been very good to you! What a wonderful and productive month. Keep it up. I love your cast of characters and all of your sketches. Your style is very distinctive-very "Judy"!

Anne Butera said...

Happy August to you, too, Judy. I am so intrigued by the paper mache! How exciting. I am looking forward to seeing how your lady develops. Your sketches of people are really wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

I'm glad you had such a productive month of July and I'm wishing you another month filled with creativity for August!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't wait to see what August brings!!! :)

Jennifer Richardson said...

You are amazing!
What a creative buffet:)
I love the way you choose
to live and love your life.
Thanks for sharing the goodness,
Jennifer

Amy Hauschild said...

keep it coming, so great when you can just go with the flow! well done you...:)Amy